Sunday, January 11, 2015
Blog Review of Sophia's Post on the Book "Lolita"
The book described by Sophia sounds horrifying, yet somewhat ingenious. It describes a man that attempts to have a relationship with a twelve-year old girl. The surprising part is he apparently describes her as the dominant person in the relationship. He says that she seduces him and that she is smitten with him. Sophia then claims that most of these events are probably fabricated as the man is much older than Lolita so probably pushed her into these acts. Apparently, he threatened her with foster care and and juvenile detention. This book really seems to show how unreliable an narrator can be.
First off, this post makes me want to read the book to see how deceptive the narrator really is. The narrator sounds like a charming and intellectual man. I would be very curious to see where I was deceived and how many times I actually figured out that I was deceived. Another reason I would want to read it is because I want to compare the events of the book to what actually happened. I feel that in the end, I would just want to get it to see how the narrator contrasts with the facts.
This book kind of reminds me of another memoir about a man that was doing something illegal and didn't fell at fault. The main difference is that the main character in my book realized that he was doing something wrong and tried to fix it. He was a cop that conversed with criminals to get bigger criminals. In the end, he realized that dealing with shady people was wrong and decided get one last criminal, then quit the force. I don't think that the narrator of "Lolita" ever felt guilty about his action.
To conclude, "Lolita" sounds like a very interesting story. It's about somebody doing something illegal, then doesn't feel guilty about it at the time. This story seems more unique than others because the author doesn't see himself as a criminal. He see's himself as a man seduced by Lolita. This seems like a book that would be very hard to analyze, but would be rewarding to do so.
The blog post
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I agree that Sophia analyzed Humbert Humbert brilliantly, and I think you articulated what she did well so perfectly. The book is indeed horrifying and ingenious. That's Nabokov!
ReplyDelete